My Journey on Lincoln's Assassination
10-30-2018, 12:39 PM (This post was last modified: 10-30-2018 12:43 PM by mikegriffith1.)
RE: My Journey on Lincoln's Assassination
(10-30-2018 09:35 AM)Susan Higginbotham Wrote:  Ah, here may be what the "Dark Union" author was referring to: "One very singular thing took place at the Capitol at about the hour of the attack, which was the sudden extinguishment of all the lights on the terrace of the Western front. The police discovered it immediately and caused them to be relighted. Nothing further occurred about the Capitol to excite suspicion." (Same entry, p. 471).

So Guttridge and Neff were correct.

Quote:So not streetlights, but the Capitol lights, were briefly off.

I was paraphrasing Guttridge and Neff. They actually say Capitol lights:

Quote:And within the same thirty minutes of the shooting at Ford's, someone at the gasworks on Maryland Avenue shut off the gas that fed the lights around the Capitol and westward along Pennsylvania Avenue. This was about the time Booth spurred his horse eastward along the same stretch. (p. 145)

So their point is valid. The only question is, Was this a coincidence or a deliberate act designed to help Booth get away? If it was a coincidence, it was an incredible coincidence. Ten o'clock at night on the night the president is shot and, poof, some Capitol lights just happen to get shut down at right around the same time that Booth was riding away.

And at around this same time, people here what sound like signal whistles near Booth's escape route, and a bit later that night the commercial telegraph lines just happen to go down for two hours. Amazing. Just amazing.

Mike Griffith
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: My Journey on Lincoln's Assassination - mikegriffith1 - 10-30-2018 12:39 PM