My Journey on Lincoln's Assassination
10-29-2018, 04:11 PM (This post was last modified: 10-29-2018 04:13 PM by mikegriffith1.)
RE: My Journey on Lincoln's Assassination
(10-25-2018 01:52 PM)Gene C Wrote:  It "could have been" someone else using Booth's name.
Or "it could have been" Cobb was pressured into saying it was Booth
Or "it could have been" the mysterious rider said "Boothe" and Cobb misunderstood. They do sound similar.
Or "it could have been" Booth was insulted that he wasn't recognized for the star matinee idol that he was, so he gave Cobb his real name to impress him.
Big Grin

As I've said, your theory has just as many suppositions as mine, and they are not as plausible and do not fit the evidence as well as mine.

You are supposing that Booth, running for his life, gave his real name to Cobb, but that for the rest of his flight he used a fake name.

You are supposing that Cobb was telling the truth and was not lying under pressure from higher-ups, as so many others did.

You are supposing that Booth, though he gave a fake name after he encountered Cobb, and though he shaved off his mustache to avoid being recognized from pictures of him, carried with him a slew of incriminating evidence that plainly identified him as the wanted assassin.

You are supposing that Booth, running for his life and trying to hide his identity, showed several people his JWB tattoo during his flight.

You are supposing that it is just a cosmic coincidence that the gas lights got shut off along Booth's escape route in Washington just after he shot Lincoln.

You are supposing that it is just a cosmic coincidence that the Washington commercial telegraph lines got shut down for two hours after the shooting.

You are supposing that it was just an innocent mistake in the heat of the moment that the first dispatches that Stanton sent out on the assassin did not mention his name, even though the evidence is clear that Stanton knew very quickly that Booth was the shooter.

You are assuming that somehow, someway, by a process that has not been seen in any other case in the history of crime and forensics, Booth's body underwent such a drastic transformation in appearance that it looked nothing like him when it was viewed on the Montauk, and that it even grew freckles on the face. Yet, when Conger showed a photo of Booth to some people in Port Conway, including William Rollins, on April 25, they recognized Booth as the man in the photo. So whatever catastrophic, unprecedented transformation that supposedly occurred to Booth's body had not yet happened as of the day before he was supposedly shot and just two days before his body was supposedly examined on the Montauk.

The list of your illogical and unlikely suppositions could fill pages.

Also, someone said in an earlier reply that Everton Conger was just a nice, harmless guy and was no henchman for Lafayette Baker. That's odd, because Jay Robert Nash, on his chapter on Lafayette Baker in his book Spies, says Conger was as bad as Baker:

Quote:Colonel Everton Conger also worked for Baker's intelligence service, and was as conniving and secretive as his superior. (Spies: A Narrative Encyclopedia of Dirty Deeds and Double Dealing from Biblical Times to Today, New York: M. Evans and Company, 1997, p. 69)

Mike Griffith
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: My Journey on Lincoln's Assassination - mikegriffith1 - 10-29-2018 04:11 PM