My Journey on Lincoln's Assassination
10-25-2018, 12:12 PM (This post was last modified: 10-25-2018 12:18 PM by L Verge.)
RE: My Journey on Lincoln's Assassination
(10-25-2018 10:06 AM)Rob Wick Wrote:  
Quote:Very good point, Rob - but I bet you won't get a response from Mr. Griffith If you have noticed, he sidesteps a great deal of legitimate points and questions thrown at him. He just keeps circling back to the same old suppositions and what-ifs..

And this is pretty much why this will mark my last entry on this topic. I wrote a long post refuting much of what Mr. Griffith has argued, and I've deleted it. It's not worth it.

Best
Rob

I am in agreement, but I just keep hanging in there hoping that the rest of us impart some good historical information to others. Once a dogged teacher, always a dogged teacher... (I guess).

(10-25-2018 08:11 AM)Gene C Wrote:  
(10-24-2018 06:48 PM)mikegriffith1 Wrote:  Second, as Dr. Arnold notes, the diary could have been planted on the body quite easily, or the planter could have simply pulled it out of his own pocket and claimed that he had just found it on the body.

But we do not really even know if any of the items that were allegedly found on the body were actually on the body at the farm.
They could have been given to one of Lafayette Baker's two henchmen on the search party, Conger or Lt. Baker, ahead of time and simply handed over to the War Department with the claim that they were found on the body. Dr. Arnold suggests that Jett gave these items to Conger when they met shortly before the confrontation at Garrett's farm.

Third, the amount of damning evidence supposedly found on the body is nothing short of amazing, and rather suspicious--too pat, too convenient, too much. Anyone trying to escape with his life is not going to be carrying around a bunch of evidence that identifies him as the suspect. If a suspect is going to shave off his mustache to try to avoid being identified, why in the devil would he carry around a bunch of evidence that identified him?

These two reasons just don't add up.
All your saying is it "could have" happened this way, but you have no facts to back it up.
You even admit, "but we do not even really know"
As for item #3, Booth shaved off his mustache before he made any entries in the diary.
His diary is basically a one man pity party.
Just like a lot of politicians today, he misjudged public reaction.
The shaving of the mustache only has to do with immediate identification.
Instead of being a guy with a mustache and a crutch with a nice spencer carbine,
now he's just a guy with a crutch and a nice spencer carbine.

Idea But, the spencer carbine was probably a plant by union soldiers too.

Here are some "could haves" for you to consider.....
If all your conspiracy theories were true, the soldiers "could have" kept whoever in Garrett's barn, in the barn, when it burned to the ground.
Easier for a vast conspiracy to have the charred remains identified as Booth.
Or "it could have happened" this way,
Lafayette Baker could have really dumped the body found at Garrett's in the Potomac... until they found another body that more resembled Booth
and the body he did bury belonged to some one else.

To much supposition for me. Yours and Dr. Arnold's theories have to many "it could have happened" and 'we don't really know" to carry much weight and be seriously considered.

More good points, Gene, and hopefully folks will pay special attention to your last paragraph here because we do get a spate of publications coming off the computer/presses that are filled with such sidestepping. There is quite a difference between possibility and probability -- and that's where primary sources, in-depth research, and logic come into play.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: My Journey on Lincoln's Assassination - L Verge - 10-25-2018 12:12 PM