Lincoln Presidential Library Foundation Owes Big $$$
06-22-2018, 12:46 AM
RE: Lincoln Presidential Library Owes Big $$$
(06-20-2018 10:22 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  https://www.cbsnews.com/news/abraham-lin...tion-debt/

Treasures that could be sold include Lincoln's iconic hat made of beaver fur. There were even two marks on the brim from "well-worn fingerprints."

This reminded me of F.B. Carpenter's narration on Lincoln's salute to the White House guards ("Six Months at the White House," page 169):

I was always touched by the President's manner of receiving the salute of the guard at the White House. Whenever he appeared in the portico, on his way to or from the War or Treasury Department, or on any excursion down the avenue, the first glimpse of him was, of course, the signal for the sentinel on duty to "present arms." This was always acknowledged by Mr. Lincoln with a peculiar bow and touch of the hat, no matter how many times it might occur in the course of a day; and it always seemed to me as much a compliment to the devotion of the soldiers, on his part, as it was the sign of duty and deference on the part of the guard.

Roger, could you perhaps post the photograph, with the distinctive finger marks on the hat, contained in the article itself?

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln Presidential Library Owes Big $$$ - David Lockmiller - 06-22-2018 12:46 AM
Hat & Gloves - DanielC - 05-12-2018, 03:29 PM