Lincoln Presidential Library Foundation Owes Big $$$
05-19-2018, 12:20 PM
RE: Lincoln Presidential Library Owes Big $$$
(05-19-2018 11:30 AM)davg2000 Wrote:  If we don't count the hat that ALPLM has, there are two: the one at the Smithsonian and one at Robert Lincoln's home, Hildene.

Doesn't it seem reasonable that Lincoln may have owned more than three? Men's hats took a beating, especially in those days. They were worn in all kinds of weather (in fact, that's why a beaver hat was popular - it tended to repel water); the sweat from one's brow damaged the inside bands; road dirt and dust gathered on it; etc.

There is one hat that we know he owned that is not accounted for: Lincoln was wearing his signature stovepipe hat, I believe, when a supposed sniper put a bullet through it as he returned to the summer White House one evening. Can we assume that (the others being authentic) that hat would be #4?

Just as an aside, I find the "original" appraiser a bit questionable. It seems that he did not question the authenticity of the hat (and the clock and the fan) at the time of the appraisal and set a high price. There's a 99% chance that his "fee" (commission) for the appraisal was based on a percentage of that total appraisal. Once he has been paid, then he casts doubt on the authenticity of some of the items?

One more trivial thought, based on the article that Steve posted. I love the reference to the Scottish verdict system of Guilty, Innocent, or Not Proven. It reminded me of how many times James O. Hall would answer someone's question of "Was Mary Surratt guilty or innocent?" with his opinion that the verdict was "Not proven." He felt that the government did not prove their case sufficiently enough to render a "guilty" verdict.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln Presidential Library Owes Big $$$ - L Verge - 05-19-2018 12:20 PM
Hat & Gloves - DanielC - 05-12-2018, 03:29 PM