Lincoln Presidential Library Foundation Owes Big $$$
05-13-2018, 10:03 AM
RE: Lincoln Presidential Library Owes Big $$$
(05-13-2018 05:04 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Thanks to Richard Sloan for this comment:

"Someone knowledgeable about this sort of thing has told me that they aren’t looking to sell off any of the Lincoln-related “treasures,” but rather peripheral materials and items not relating to Lincoln and Booth."

This comment makes sense. What ALPLM would really like is for the State of Illinois to help out significantly with the $9.7 million debt. Perhaps it will. However, I do think that ALPLM will go forward on plans to sell some things not related to Lincoln. The name "Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library" can be confusing--ALPLM is really the state historical library, whose mission is "to collect, preserve, interpret, and promote the study of the life and times of Abraham Lincoln and Illinois history." Whatever the name of the body, they've been pursuing this dual mission since the 1890's and have acquired very many things not related to Lincoln, but indeed related to Illinois history. For example, it's the second part of the mission which justified ALPLM's acquisition awhile back of some letters written by Charles Manson. Manson lived in Peoria, IL, for a time, so he is part of Illinois history.

Maybe I'm just too optimistic, but I can't imagine the top hat or the gloves or any artifact related to Lincoln being sold.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln Presidential Library Owes Big $$$ - davg2000 - 05-13-2018 10:03 AM
Hat & Gloves - DanielC - 05-12-2018, 03:29 PM