Where did the Lincolns live after the Globe Tavern?
04-23-2018, 01:14 PM
RE: Where did the Lincolns live after the Globe Tavern?
I was able to obtain a copy of a relevant Vaughn’s “Handful of Sorts” article from the Illinois State Journal (12 November 1927, p. 6, col. 2) courtesy of Bryon C. Andreasen, author of Looking for Lincoln in Illinois: Lincoln’s Springfield. I had the opportunity to meet Bryon in February and he was very nice so I decided to contact him to see if he had any additional insights into this topic since he had included the cottage in his book. He was kind enough to send me a copy of the article. He wasn’t aware of the Thompson/Beveridge letter so I plan to send him a copy to reciprocate once we can scare up a copy.

In the brief article, it states that Helmle lived on 5th street and played in the neighborhood where the Lincoln cottage stood while growing up (it was apparently still there when he was young as he remembered being there). Helmle was born in 1853 so would have been about 12 years old at the time of Lincoln’s death. With a former resident like Lincoln ascending to the presidency and then being assassinated, certainly all the stories of Lincoln’s time in Springfield would have been a big topic for discussion at the time Helmle was an impressionable youth. I have no doubt that around the time of Lincoln’s death he would have heard lots of stories about Lincoln and one about Lincoln having lived in the neighborhood where he lived and played would likely have stuck with him. In essence, he could have heard it from most anyone. Heck, he was born in the same year as Tad. Who knows, Helmle, having been schooled in Springfield, could have been an acquaintance or schoolmate of Tad and heard the story from Lincoln himself before leaving for Washington (of course I suspect he would have said that quite clearly if that had been the case).

I have attached an image of the article here. I will send to Roger as well to re-post in case it isn’t legible in the posted image.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Where did the Lincolns live after the Globe Tavern? - STS Lincolnite - 04-23-2018 01:14 PM