Where did the Lincolns live after the Globe Tavern?
04-18-2018, 05:17 PM
RE: Where did the Lincolns live after the Globe Tavern?
I heard from my friend, Curtis, today. He sent the link that was previously mentioned about the Argus Hotel. He did check the land records and this is what he found out. "I found an article from the June 12, 1931 issue of the Illinois State Register that states Lincoln lived in a small house on the east side of Fourth Street, just north of the alley north of Monroe. I checked the land records for this location and found that Seth Tinsley purchased the south 54 3/4 feet of the lot on July 13, 1842 for $800 and sold it on March 27, 1844. So Tinsley would have been the owner of the house at the time that Abraham Lincoln was living there." Unfortunately, there isn't much else to go on.

I still think it was a Tinsley heir who was the original source and that it is likely Barton was the first one to mention it. However, as soon as I'm able to send my researcher back to the LOC, I will have her look for the letter that Burlingame mentions from the Beveridge papers.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Where did the Lincolns live after the Globe Tavern? - Rob Wick - 04-18-2018 05:17 PM