Good Brother, Bad Brother
04-02-2018, 07:49 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2018 07:49 PM by Gene C.)
Good Brother, Bad Brother
Interesting look at Edwin & John Wilkes Booth written by James Cross Goodwin.
Written mainly for teen age readers, adults will also find it interesting, About 220 pages, published in 2005.
Easy to read with above average size print, not to bogged down with details. Flows well, with many nice illustrations and photographs. .

It is a good introduction to the lives of both men, I found it interesting because I knew next to nothing about Edwin.

Some inaccuracies in the book, here are two:
"On November 9, President Lincoln and his party were among those who crowded into Ford's to see John play a romantic young sculptor in the popular play The Marble Heart. Afterward, the President sent word backstage that he would like to meet the actor, but John, given his strong feelings about Lincoln, declined the invitation." (anyone heard this before?)
and at the assassination...
"Then three doctors, aided by four men from the audience, including John Parker, carried Lincoln out of the box."
The author takes a more positive position on John's acting ability than most other books I've read.

I found the parts about Edwin the most interesting. After being married for three years, Edwin's first wife died leaving him with a two year old child, Edwina. His wife had been very sick, had telegraphed Edwin asking him to come home. He postponed reading her telegrams due to being intoxicated. When he did open them, he cut his theater tour short, hurried home only to miss being by her bedside when she died by a few hours. She was only 22.

The second wife had a baby boy who died after 1 day. She suffered severe depression most of the rest of her life, had other health and mental issues before she too passed away at the age of 33 . Edwin never remarried.

Also mentioned are Edwin's early struggles with excessive drinking, financial problems, destroying John's theater wardrobe and props, and two sad marriages with both wives dying at a fairly early age.

https://www.amazon.com/Good-Brother-Bad-...865&sr=1-1

If you are a Boothie, there's nothing new here, it's not a must have book, but a nice one to have.
I picked up my copy from the library book sale, but there are several good copies available for less than $10 on Amazon.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Good Brother, Bad Brother - Gene C - 04-02-2018 07:49 PM
RE: Good Brother, Bad Brother - L Verge - 04-02-2018, 08:22 PM
RE: Good Brother, Bad Brother - RJNorton - 04-03-2018, 05:00 AM