Plaque at V.A.
02-03-2018, 11:43 AM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2018 11:46 AM by David Lockmiller.)
RE: Plaque at V.A.
(02-03-2018 05:56 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Hi Dan. Given the times it was said, it sure does not come across as offensive to me. Just my opinion.

It is absolutely not offensive. Lincoln made the quote during the American Civil War. Is there anyone that cannot comprehend that the statement was appropriate for the time?

This is another "tempest in a teapot" for those who enjoy quibbling.

Perhaps we can mollify the persons so offended by having the following story chiseled in underneath the Lincoln quote at all VA Hospitals throughout the country. I knew of the story from the Emanuel Hertz book. But I have promised myself not to quote from this book without better authority corroborating the authenticity. I found such a reference in the "Transactions of the Oneida Historical Society at Utica, Volumes 6-10" at page 133. This was the record of a speech given to the society with an undetermined date by the Honorable Thomas L. James. The text states that "[t]he speaker related a number of anecdotes showing Lincoln's sympathy, as told by Col. Charles H. Page."

A young girl had enlisted as a boy in an Indiana regiment and had served more than a year, when she was severely wounded at Fredericksburg and her sex was discovered. After she was discharged from the hospital, she was denied further service in the ranks under the rules, and she had long tried in vain to get the four months' pay due her. At last she appealed to the President. After patiently listening to her story, the President asked: "My child, how came you to enlist?"

"Oh, Mr. President, I wanted to do something for my country."

Mr. Lincoln looked at the wounded girl for a moment, and then, he wrote and handed her the following note: "C. P. Andrews, Paymaster-General: Examine the rolls and ascertain whether this girl is entitled to four moths' pay as a soldier. If she is, pay her at once and do not send her from one paymaster to another. If there is no law to justify you, I will indemnify you. A. Lincoln."

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Plaque at V.A. - DanielC - 02-03-2018, 05:48 AM
RE: Plaque at V.A. - RJNorton - 02-03-2018, 05:56 AM
RE: Plaque at V.A. - David Lockmiller - 02-03-2018 11:43 AM
RE: Plaque at V.A. - DanielC - 02-03-2018, 06:05 AM
RE: Plaque at V.A. - AussieMick - 02-03-2018, 06:56 AM
RE: Plaque at V.A. - Gene C - 02-03-2018, 12:39 PM
RE: Plaque at V.A. - L Verge - 02-03-2018, 03:46 PM
RE: Plaque at V.A. - ELCore - 02-04-2018, 09:27 AM
RE: Plaque at V.A. - David Lockmiller - 02-04-2018, 11:15 AM