Gibson W. Harris
12-28-2017, 07:40 PM
RE: Gibson W. Harris
(12-28-2017 06:59 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(12-28-2017 06:26 PM)kerry Wrote:  but it seems like Gibson was the real deal/ His statements are definitely interesting, and illuminating about Lincoln's family life.

I sure agree, Kerry. What I find a little odd is that Herndon did not interview him. I do not think there is any mention of him whatsoever in Herndon's Informants. It would seem to me that Gibson would have been a perfect person to seek out after the assassination for an interview about Lincoln's office habits, etc. Also, Herndon does not mention him at all in Herndon's Life of Lincoln.

Herndon seems to have largely ignored Springfield accounts about Lincoln's personal life. While I agree with the general consensus that Herndon was not a liar and was after the truth, though prone to wild speculation, I feel that there is something deliberate in that. His comments about Mary and even Lincoln's kids are weirdly reckless and speculative, even compared to his regular stuff. I find Herndon quite entertaining and think his information is quite valuable and impressive, but I think too much benefit of the doubt has been given him with regard to Lincoln's family life. He seemed to be stuck to a narrative there, which he kept promising to explain but never did. It also seems very possible be obtained interviews from these people and later destroyed them, as stuff about his personal life that is discussed in some of his letters is missing. It's like he meant to eventually put them into perspective, but running out of time, got rid of them. From various things I've read, he was clearly in contact with Mary after Lincoln's death, beyond that one interview. I don't know what the situation was there. He had insight into so many things, but there is a giant blind spot when it comes to Lincoln's domestic situation. He probably considered Gibson's take irrelevant. He didn't seem to have any appreciation for cute stories of Lincoln as a father, which would seem highly relevant.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Gibson W. Harris - RJNorton - 12-28-2017, 02:57 PM
RE: Gibson W. Harris - kerry - 12-28-2017, 06:26 PM
RE: Gibson W. Harris - RJNorton - 12-28-2017, 06:59 PM
RE: Gibson W. Harris - kerry - 12-28-2017 07:40 PM
RE: Gibson W. Harris - ELCore - 12-28-2017, 08:23 PM
RE: Gibson W. Harris - RJNorton - 12-29-2017, 07:30 AM
RE: Gibson W. Harris - David Lockmiller - 12-28-2017, 11:47 PM
RE: Gibson W. Harris - Gene C - 12-29-2017, 08:46 AM