JWB Seduction Charge (Not Breach of Promise)
12-16-2017, 01:31 PM
RE: JWB Seduction Charge (Not Breach of Promise)
(12-15-2017 09:50 PM)jparkuntz Wrote:  Steve and I both went to the Philadelphia City Archives last week and separately reviewed the Quarter Sessions court records from 1857-1860, and found a handful of Seduction charges--but NONE involving J.B. Wilkes/John Wilkes Booth. This is definitely the Grand Jury/Court that would have issued an indictment and convened a trial.

Yet the requisition for Booth exists in the Pennsylvania State Archives.

The key to this mystery is Robert M. Lee, the "conniving" Philadelphia lawyer; the woman who he was involved with--Jane Fleming/Annie Melville, later Mrs. Robert M. Lee/Eusebia Fitzgerald; and her previous paramour, the master forger, James Buchanan Crosse.

I believe this trio forged warrant documents that were sent to Harrisburg, and used them to successfully blackmail Booth after he had left Philadelphia. He was a prime target: young, vain, and from a famous, wealthy family.

Jerry Kuntz
Warwick NY

I like your conclusions, Jerry, as to the true story behind these seduction charges against Booth. Previous centuries had their share of cheats and liars also.

As for the legal terms that Steve found regarding "seduction:" Am I interpreting the beginning statements correctly? Does it specify that a father may seduce his under-age daughter without repercussions since she is still under his "command?"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: JWB Seduction Charge (Not Breach of Promise) - L Verge - 12-16-2017 01:31 PM