Time for a memorial honoring Boston Corbett?
11-23-2017, 02:07 PM (This post was last modified: 11-23-2017 02:09 PM by L Verge.)
RE: Time for a memorial honoring Boston Corbett?
(11-23-2017 02:07 AM)SSlater Wrote:  I doubt that Booth tried to shoot himself, with a very awkward shot with the gun upside down, etc. I think the downward track of the bullet (FROM CORBETT) caught him crouching,( to make a smaller target. )
Booth could not see his opponents, but they had good shots at him - he was lit up by the fire.
I'll bet that when Corbett shot him, ha danced around yelling "I got him. I got him", thinking he would get the reward.

This is all guessing, but I believe it explains the results, and sticks to logic.

Amen, to both Johns here. I believe there is a statement from Corbett somewhere that Mike Kauffman used to quote when he narrated the Surratt Society's Booth Tours. The gist was that Booth started towards the door with gun drawn and Corbett took aim for his shoulder to get him to drop the gun. However, Booth's leg caused him to limp and go down slightly on that side. That made the bullet go through his neck instead of his shoulder. Now, that's logic to me.

As far as Corbett being excited to get the reward, I don't think that was upper-most in his mind. I think his religious fervor kicked in and he thanked God for being allowed to avenge Lincoln's death.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Time for a memorial honoring Boston Corbett? - L Verge - 11-23-2017 02:07 PM