November 1864 Classified Ad by JWB
11-12-2017, 07:48 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2017 07:57 PM by L Verge.)
RE: November 1864 Classified Ad by JWB
(11-12-2017 06:42 PM)Steve Wrote:  Laurie, is there some significance to Drake? Was a music teacher mentioned either in trial accounts or statements given to authorities after the assassination?

I found these August 1864 advertisements in the Detroit Free Press for sheet music written by a James S. Drake. I wonder if it's the same person.

No significance that I know of. James O. Hall was so minute in his research, however, that he told us years ago about the H Street home getting revenue from rentals to Patent Office employees, a music teacher, and others that I cannot remember, over the ten years that the Surratts owned it before moving to the city to utilize it themselves.

I bless the day that I first met Mr. Hall because he was a wonderful friend and mentor -- and unlike some today, he didn't stab you in the back. I believe at last count that we have sixteen drawers (four to a file cabinet) in our James O. Hall Research Center to attest to the work he did. This does not include the multiple drawers of Tidwell files that he collaborated with.

Several universities, including Georgetown, were a bit miffed that his files came to Surratt House...

Forgot to add that it was interesting to see that Drake composed a new arrangement for "Annie Laurie." As soon as I turned 16, I was ready to get my driver's license (had been driving back roads since I was 14). When the gentleman administering the test climbed in the car and asked my name, I gave it as "Laurie," even though that is not my legal name, "Laura." While I'm taking the test (on town streets in a stick-shift car, having to give hand signals, not letting it roll backwards at stop lights, etc.), the gentleman was singing "Annie Laurie" at the top of his voice -- and not very well. Wonder if he used Drake's version of the tune???
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: November 1864 Classified Ad by JWB - L Verge - 11-12-2017 07:48 PM