Blowing up the White House - any interest?
10-26-2017, 12:11 AM (This post was last modified: 10-26-2017 12:15 AM by SSlater.)
RE: Blowing up the White House - any interest?
Apparently, Atzerodt heard that there was a plan to "Mine the White House". He had no knowledge of "planting mines" that would detonate when they were stepped on. so he guessed. Thomas Harney was brought in to do the job. Harney had spent the previous 6 months, burying mines in the road in front of General Sherman's "March to the sea." He was very effective. When Sherman realized how the system worked, he marched Confederate prisoners in front of his Army and the Rebs realized that only Rebs were dieing, they quit. (this freed up Harney to more to Washington.)
This line of thinking fits better with the rest of the WH plan, where the Rebs were to organize a big "sing along" And mix-in with the guests. They knew where the mines were buried, and could avoid them, while the Northerners would tramp all over them.

At that time the WH grounds were open to the public, so there was no problem getting access to the lawn, to set the mines. I doubt that the Rebs could have moved enough powder into WH, to destroy it, without getting caught. Land mines were not the best source of a huge blast, that would have destroyed the building. I can't resolve the "Mix-in" portion of the plan. They certainly would not blow up their own men. I hope someone can add to this study.

(10-26-2017 12:11 AM)SSlater Wrote:  Apparently, Atzerodt heard that there was a plan to "Mine the White House". He had no knowledge of "planting mines" that would detonate when they were stepped on. so he guessed. Thomas Harney was brought in to do the job. Harney had spent the previous 6 months, burying mines in the road in front of General Sherman's "March to the sea." He was very effective. When Sherman realized how the system worked, he marched Confederate prisoners in front of his Army and the Rebs realized that only Rebs were dieing, they quit. (this freed up Harney to more to Washington.)
This line of thinking fits better with the rest of the WH plan, where the Rebs were to organize a big "sing along" And mix-in with the guests. They knew where the mines were buried, and could avoid them, while the Northerners would tramp all over them.

At that time the WH grounds were open to the public, so there was no problem getting access to the lawn, to set the mines. I doubt that the Rebs could have moved enough powder into WH, to destroy it, without getting caught. Land mines were not the best source of a huge blast, that would have destroyed the building. I can't resolve the "Mix-in" portion of the plan. They certainly would not blow up their own men. I hope someone can add to this study.

...MOVE to Washington...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Blowing up the White House - any interest? - SSlater - 10-26-2017 12:11 AM