Some Strange activities associated with Elmira.
08-23-2017, 09:10 AM
RE: Some Strange activities associated with Elmira.
(08-23-2017 04:50 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Thanks, John. The reason I asked was because of the word "morality." Because Blackburn's idea apparently was to infect thousands of civilians with yellow fever I thought possibly it was a reference to that plan.

IMO

Judging from the date of the letter it wouldn't be Blackburn since he had already executed his idea. However, since it was just before the election I would guess it was part of the election chaos plan that the rebels in Canada had planned.

New York was not the only Northern city they planned to destroy on election day. Chicago, Boston and Cincinnati were also targeted.

Lee says "To take a party of men from here seems to me to ensure failure and I could not recommend it." combined with the fact that Stringfellow worked out of Washington indicates to me that Davis meant to include Washington on election day.

The route to the Soldiers Home was still open - the "morality" of the plot could well refer to assassination rather than kidnapping which Lee wanted no part of.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Some Strange activities associated with Elmira. - JMadonna - 08-23-2017 09:10 AM