U.S. Grant saved George Pickett's neck
09-12-2012, 01:34 PM
RE: U.S. Grant saved George Pickett's neck
I have to say that I agree with Bill here. As bad as it sounds, an army without discipline is nothing more than a disorganized mob that not only could cost you the battle (and even the war), but could also get a bunch of people killed unnecessarily. About the only thing a commanding officer at that time had in terms of maintaining discipline was the ultimate punishment. People going into combat are rightfully scared and no person in his right mind would do so without the knowledge that one would have to pay that ultimate price. Much of the reason soldiers were willing to do it came down to two things, i.e. the fear of letting their fellow soldier down (and the fear they would let you down) and the fact that desertion could get you hung.

Bill is also right that Grant, as a regular army officer, was well aware of what was required to maintain that discipline.

As an aside, I've always wondered what the ratio of soldiers pardoned by Lincoln was before Willie died and after, and if Willie's death could have caused Lincoln to become more magnanimous.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: U.S. Grant saved George Pickett's neck - Rob Wick - 09-12-2012 01:34 PM