Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ?
03-30-2017, 08:29 AM (This post was last modified: 03-30-2017 08:45 AM by loetar44.)
RE: Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ?
(03-30-2017 05:37 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(03-28-2017 05:49 PM)loetar44 Wrote:  Roger,

Do you know what were the exact words of Anna's exclamation? "Think of THAT MAN BOOTH having called at this house ....", or "Think of THAT MAN having been here ...."

Kees, in The Evidence the quote is as follows:

"Think of that man Booth having called at this house not more than an hour and a half before the assassination."

https://books.google.com/books?id=GvYpUe...22&f=false

Thanks Roger,

Some remarks.

The Philadelphia Sunday Dispatch of July 18, 1865 published Weichmann’s letter to the editor; his answer to the attacks upon his character, made since the execution of Mary Surratt. He wrote:

Philadelphia, Saturday, July 15, 1865.
To the Editors of the Sunday Despatch (sic):
Will you favor me by publishing the following STATEMENT in your valuable paper?
Etc. Etc.

A couple of hours after the assassination the Surratt House was visited by McDevitt and his detectives, searching for Booth and Surratt. Weichmann wrote in his statement about this incident (verbatim):

---
When the detectives arrived at 3 o'clock the next morning, I rapped at her door for permission to let them in.

"For God's sake let them come in! I expected the house to be searched," said she.

When the detectives had gone, and when her daughter, almost frantic, cried out, "Oh! ma, just think of that man's having been here an hour before the assassination! I am afraid it will bring suspicion upon us!"

"Anna, come what will," she replied, "I am resigned. I think that J. Wilkes Booth was only an instrument in the hands of the Almighty to punish this proud and licentious people."
---

It’s my understanding that this statement is the ONLY statement Weichmann did in reference to Anna’s exclamation. He says THAT MAN and not THAT MAN BOOTH.

I’m wondering what source “The Evidence” is/was using. Where is Edward Steers? We need him!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ? - loetar44 - 03-30-2017 08:29 AM