Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ?
03-18-2017, 01:20 AM
RE: Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ?
(03-17-2017 12:46 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Do any of you have access to Frederick Hatch's 2016 book, John Surratt: Rebel, Lincoln Conspirator, Fugitive?

Fred has very detailed information on this "Elmira" subject in Chapter 6, "In Hiding" - complete with trains, boats, hotels, and statements.

In parting, let me just say that one detail that convinced me that Surratt was not in DC at the time of the assassination is the description that two Elmira residents gave of John Surratt's "Canadian style" coat. One specifically said that he saw Surratt in it between April 12 and 15. Those are minor little details to some people, but I consider them a telling clue for us.

I don't care how much we quibble over time schedules between DC and points in NY and Canada, I still think that there were more reliable sources placing Surratt away from the scene of the crime in DC. Those who testified against Surratt had much more to gain -- federal authorities as well as seekers of rewards.

I'm with you Laurie. The way that Surratt's schedule developed between March 25, and the assassination, I think there were valid reasons to get Surratt away from the "action". The biggest one was - Surratt was not a KILLER. He avoided army service on either side. He claims somewhere that he "promised mommy that I wouldn't join the Army." He was a draft dodger par excelance. I am willing to bet that Sarah told him about the plan to "Blow up the White House" and he put MILES between himself and the action. It's possible that even the South approved that decision. Everything we read tells us that her trips to Canada. to Richmond, back to Canada etc. were to settle the details of the Assassination. The South didn't even start Harney on his assignment until Sarah got to Richmond (March 29). with Thompson's willingness to participate.
Surratt could not make himself participate in the plan. It was totally outside of his capabilities. I think E. G. Lee was aware of his short-comings. He just didn't have the "Killer Instinct". So, they put him where he was "Safe", and sent Sarah along to keep him out of the way.
How about someone, or every one, picking this apart and show me where I am wrong and give me your ideas.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ? - SSlater - 03-18-2017 01:20 AM