Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ?
03-10-2017, 04:39 PM
RE: Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ?
(03-10-2017 02:35 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(03-10-2017 10:43 AM)L Verge Wrote:  Again, my memory is failing me, but hasn't research established who that person was calling out the time? A person connected to Ford's Theatre and not Surratt?

Laurie, possibly this may be what you are thinking of?

From Michael Shein's John Surratt: The Lincoln Assassin Who Got Away:

"Mr. C.B. Hess, an actor, is pleased to be included in the evening’s entertainment on April 14. Though not in the cast of Our American Cousin, he’s been engaged to sing a patriotic song in honor of the President and the great Union victory at the conclusion of the show. Filled with the nervous energy that always precedes a performance, Mr. Hess steps from the stage door and sees Lewis Carland, a costumer and actor, and James J. Gifford, a stage carpenter, standing out front. Carland and Gifford had just come from the adjoining saloon, where they’d ducked in the side door just in time to catch a glimpse of Mr. Booth leaving by the front door. Mr. Hess asks the time. Mr. Carland walks to the front entrance, peers at the clock, then returns with the news that it is ten minutes past ten. Mr. Hess repeats, "Ten minutes past ten – I’ll be wanted in a few minutes," and he ducks back in at the stage entrance. Not more than two minutes later he hears the report of a pistol, and suddenly all is chaos."

Thanks, Roger; that's exactly what I was remembering. I just want to add a personal opinion on suspecting any statements or testimonies given in 1865 and 1867 by anyone connected with federal authorities who wanted revenge...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ? - L Verge - 03-10-2017 04:39 PM