Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ?
03-07-2017, 06:09 PM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2017 06:15 PM by loetar44.)
RE: Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ?
(03-07-2017 02:07 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I'm sticking with John Stanton on this. John was of more use to the Confederacy at that point than sticking around to assist an erratic Booth. I also feel that those who testified at his trial were doing so TWO YEARS AFTER THE FACT. All sorts of altered, confused, and just plain mistaken information can flit through a man's brain in that period of time - thus creating untrustworthy testimony.

Laurie, the brothers Queen (Andrew & Benjamin) hunted with Herold. Benjamin said to detective Charles Rosch on 25 April 1865 (ten days after the fact and fresh in his memory) that he saw Surratt on 14 April on horseback coming from Herold’s house going downtown. Atzerodt said on July 6 (almost 3 months after the fact and the day before his execution) that he had seen Surratt on April 14 and that he (Surratt) was then staying at the Herndon House. Also he said that Booth told him that Surratt was with him (Booth) in Ford's Theatre.... Don't get me wrong, it's still my believe that Surratt was indeed in Elmira, however .... ????
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Where was John Surratt on April 14, 1865 ? - loetar44 - 03-07-2017 06:09 PM