Did Vinnie Ream visit the White House daily for 5 months?
02-17-2017, 08:37 PM
RE: Did Vinnie Ream visit the White House daily for 5 months?
Thanks for the link, Susan.

Months ago, I had the opportunity to review Ream's papers at the LOC. I reviewed my files today and found two pieces of correspondence that lend further support to the mystery (thanks, Roger, for raising it). They are as follows:

1. On July 6, 1866, James Rollins wrote the following to Ream; the letter is among her papers:

I was very much gratified to learn that there was a prospect of Congress making an appropriation of $10,000 to enable you to execute a life-size statue of our illustrious and lamented President Lincoln. . . . Your bust of Mr. Lincoln is for the best which I have seen of him; it is indeed an almost perfect work of art.

Further, Rollins writes that he has known Ream since she was "a bright and promising little girl"; he refers to the obstacles Ream and her family faced in Missouri, encourages her not to be discouraged, and asks to be remembered to her "Pa and Ma." Though his letter says nothing about Ream visiting Lincoln.

2. Ream's papers include a copy of a statement from the sculptor Clark Mills. Under date of June 15, 1868, he writes the following:

It has been reported this Vinnie Ream is using a head of Mr. Lincoln, sculpted by me, on the statue she is making of Mr. Lincoln, and whereas the statement is untrue. This falsehood started [illegble] for the purpose of injuring her. I herewith declare that it is her own work and modeled by herself in clay, and I deny the statements that have reported otherwise.

Again, no reference to Lincoln sitting for Ream.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did Vinnie Ream visit the White House daily for 5 months? - ReignetteC - 02-17-2017 08:37 PM