Did Vinnie Ream visit the White House daily for 5 months?
02-05-2017, 06:35 PM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2017 07:28 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Did Vinnie Ream visit the White House daily for 5 months?
I agree she could have made the statues by using a photo, I just thought the statues would add credibility to a diary, not just alone by itself.
I'd even go so far to say she used a photo for the second one rather than for the first one (which to me look like completely different approaches to me, not one a version of the other.)

According to this site (well worth reading):
http://www.encyclopedia.com/women/encycl...-1847-1914
the "Hoxie Family Papers...,Library of Congress, Washington, D.C....contain her diaries, scrapbooks, photographs of her sculpture and newspaper clippings". So obviously there is a diary, yet this diary quote from the same site sounds as if the diary was written much later:

"Ream, who was 17 by then, appealed to her friend Rollins to help her arrange to sketch the president while he worked at his desk in the executive mansion. According to her diary, she was allowed to have half-hour sittings with Lincoln for five months: 'I was a mere slip of a child, weighing less than ninety pounds and the contrast between the rawboned man and me was indeed great.'"

[James S. Rollins was a congressman, "who had admired her drawings at Christian College".]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did Vinnie Ream visit the White House daily for 5 months? - Eva Elisabeth - 02-05-2017 06:35 PM