Did Vinnie Ream visit the White House daily for 5 months?
02-05-2017, 02:55 PM
RE: Did Vinnie Ream visit the White House daily for 5 months?
Good question, Lane. I think I am in a definite minority here in this thread; I just find it somewhat suspect that a 17-year-old girl was able to come in some sort of "side door" to sit with Abraham Lincoln in his office without Mary ever having a clue over the course of five months (and without mention by Hay, Nicolay, or any White House personnel at all).

I also wonder why there is no mention of Tad in her memories. Tad, I believe, was known to often interrupt his father whether he was alone or in meetings. It seems a little strange to me that Tad would not have seen her and told Mary that a pretty young girl was making a bust in Lincoln's office. Yet all Vinnie ever mentions is Willie and his death 2 1/2 to 3 years previous without mentioning Tad a single time.

Because of what others have posted I am more "convinced" (it happened) than I was when I began the thread, but I am afraid I still wonder if she couldn't have actually worked elsewhere using a photo. I agree with Eva that if Vinnie had a diary the story becomes more believable.

And, yes, the accounts I've seen use the term "daily." Here are a couple of her statements:

"When I knew him and spent half an hour daily with him while modeling my statue"

"I came for half an hour every day"

Those quotes came from here.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did Vinnie Ream visit the White House daily for 5 months? - RJNorton - 02-05-2017 02:55 PM