Ruggles. Bainbridge and Jett at the River
01-23-2017, 02:11 AM
RE: Ruggles. Bainbridge and Jett at the River
[quote='SSlater' pid='63504' dateline='1485146246']
Ruggles, Bainbridge and Jett did not [b"]find"[/b]John Wilkes Booth at the Rappahannock River, because there never was a concerted effort by the Confederate Secret Service to find John Wilkes Booth - he was never missing, lost, or in need of help. After the assassination, he had a need for the "Secret Line" so he jumped in and used the Line. He was able to move South with ease. He got a little lost between Dr. Mudd and Samuel Cox, but Swann resolved that and he arrived at Rich Hill, as expected. The only reference that I can find where there is a mention of "finding Booth" is at C.R. Pg 448 that says " One can speculate, almost to a certainty, that word was passed around among key members of the underground to be on the lookout for Booth. More simple said would be "Booth will be here any day now. Do what you can for him.

Thus Ruggles Bainbridge and Jett, or anyone else, were never ordered " to find Booth." Their meeting at the river was mere coincidence.

in summation there is no need to search for who was it that ordered a search for Booth. - it never happened.
[/quote
I forgot to add an item for your amusement. to wit: Frank Stringfellow was moving down the Secret Line at the same time that Booth was, and crossed the Potomac the same night as Booth, from Thomas Jones' farm. Stringfellow left Washington about April 1, but was captured and escaped and had other problems that delayed him. I was able to establish this with "Weather Reports" shown in the Gunboat Logs and Stringfellows's own story in "Stringfellow of the Fourth" (Not important but interesting.)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ruggles. Bainbridge and Jett at the River - SSlater - 01-23-2017 02:11 AM