Robert Todd Lincoln --The vitals
01-11-2018, 05:09 PM
RE: Robert Todd Lincoln --The vitals
Speaking of Harvard brought me to a new revelation regarding Robert and his religion. During my googling into his biography, I noted that his interment in Arlington was conducted by a Congregational Church minister. Sad to say, I did not even know that such a denomination existed until I was in my 30s and worked with many New Englanders on a certain project. Since I hesitate to discuss religion, I never asked them what their faith practiced. Seeing that word "Congregational" again sent me to the computer this time.

I did know that Mary Todd Lincoln had been raised as a Presbyterian (except for a period when she went to live with her sister and attended the Episcopal Church). Her uncle, Dr. John Todd, had begun the First Presbyterian Church of Springfield in his own home and influenced his niece.

With my being an Episcopalian, I also knew that Presbyterians had been part of the Separatist/Independent movement - breaking away from the Church of England (matriarch of the American Episcopalians) and mainly composed of Scottish folk. (I never checked, but weren't the Todds of Scottish descent?). Well, the Congregationalists separated from the Presbyterians in order to achieve more self-autonomy for each congregation to conduct their own affairs without the edicts from a central, theological administration (as in the system of bishops in the Episcopal Church and the elders in the Presbyterian Church). However, they were never as radical as the Baptists and Quakers.

Mary Lincoln turned back to her Presbyterian roots while her husband was trying to deal with his religious doubts. One source said that Eddie Lincoln was buried by the then-minister of the First Presbyterian Church, the Reverend Doctor James Smith, and that Mr. Lincoln was so impressed that he visited Dr. Smith after that to discuss religion. Dr. Smith was later quoted that Mr. Lincoln "cast off his doubts and became a believer in Christianity."

Congregationalists in America were mainly centered around Massachusetts and its sister colonies during the 1600s and 1700s, and many had come over on the Mayflower. One of the strong beliefs of the faith was to support education. One of their earliest acts was to start a college that would train learned ministers for the church. Thus was founded Harvard College in 1636, under the auspices of the American Congregationalists.

And where did Robert Todd Lincoln complete his education? At Harvard, an institution founded by Congregationalists whose separatist ties meshed with the Presbyterians, the backbone of his mother's family. Evidently, the Congregationalist influence of his college days (he did take religion courses) spread over to his adult life (though I found no evidence of how faithful he was). As for his wife and at least one daughter switching to the preachings of Mary Baker Eddy and the Christian Science faith, I'm not going any further.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Robert Todd Lincoln --The vitals - L Verge - 01-11-2018 05:09 PM