Thoughts...
08-13-2016, 07:26 AM
RE: Thoughts...
I utterly agree, Donna!

I like the feel and smell of a "real" book in my hands! I collect 19th Century books and I love the smell of the old, yes, musty leather!

I DO have digital "books"/reading material on both my iPhone and iPad....but I prefer the real deal. John C Brennan, used to mark the same in books - and I do as well; only not with highlighters - that's a good idea, though! I use those little plastic colored stick on "PostIt" note thingies to mark each page which I first underline with pencil.....

My greatest fear is that kids today are forgetting what a library is and how to use one! They are too familiar with digital resources (many, many of which are horribly incorrect to use!) Unfortunately nowadays anything can be posted online and used for schoolwork; etc. And I've also seen too many digital "self-published" books published online and by Amazon which have horrid errors and really bad sentence structure and grammar - some of which is downright laughable! On plus side, there are some WONDERFUL self-published and well researched books online as well - and I can name quite a few....

Unless it is footnoted and documented, I will not cite it as a source - and fortunately, a lot of teachers do the same. In college, we were NOT allowed to use Wikipedia at all.....

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Thoughts... - L Verge - 08-11-2016, 07:40 PM
RE: Thoughts... - Donna McCreary - 08-12-2016, 11:42 PM
RE: Thoughts... - BettyO - 08-13-2016 07:26 AM
RE: Thoughts... - Donna McCreary - 08-15-2016, 02:18 PM
RE: Thoughts... - davg2000 - 08-13-2016, 12:05 PM