What are the important questions surrounding Lincoln?
09-03-2012, 09:27 PM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2012 09:28 PM by Rob Wick.)
RE: What are the important questions surrounding Lincoln?
What I'm trying to do with this is to help me figure a plan of attack for my Tarbell book. If all I do is provide a narrative of how Tarbell wrote the McClure's series and then her books, it's going to get boring pretty quick. What I'm thinking about doing is comparing how she approached various questions of Lincoln's life and what her influences were, and at some point compare how she fared against what we know today. I'm thinking that the first three or four chapters would include analysis of certain questions interspersed with the narrative of how things flowed regarding the series and the early books. In other words (just as an example) one chapter could talk about Tarbell's quest to study Lincoln's genealogy while another chapter would cover Lincoln from the Indiana years up to his adulthood and another chapter would then talk about how Tarbell handled the Ann Rutledge evidence, etc. I would also write about Tarbell and Lincoln's assassination likely from the perspective of her search for information about the Dramatic Oil Company and tie that in with her upbringing in the oilfields of Pennsylvania and her series on John D. Rockefeller.

I want to make sure that I have all the questions figured out, so I don't miss something important. That's why I need everyone's help to come up with ideas that I might consider.

Thanks

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What are the important questions surrounding Lincoln? - Rob Wick - 09-03-2012 09:27 PM