Did Surratt and Slater know about Harney's Mission?
04-17-2016, 01:29 PM
RE: Did Surratt and Slater know about Harney's Mission?
When DID Booth decide that murder was the only option? A central question is one is developing charges to prosecute individuals. Who is guilty of Conspiracy to murder and whom is in a conspiracy to kidnap?

Mr. Fazio presented material in both his book (well done but I can't wholly agree with his conclusions) and in his conference presentation (so I'm informed as my age precluded my attendance) Jefferson Davis did not know or was unaware of shift to kill or perhaps kidnap. If my memory serves me, US Presidents have relied on "plausible deniability" as a mechanism to avoid or deflect responsibility. This has frequently caused them to falsify or otherwise lie about their knowledge. I would suggest that Jefferson Davis and other members of his cabinet have done the same.

A kidnapping ALWAYS has some risk of injury/ death to the vicim. This is either through the capture (resistance by victim or accidentally) or in escape, or even in a rescue attempt. Thusly injury or death to Lincoln was always a possibility.
I have always felt that JWB would have been comfortable with killing Lincoln at any time either during a kidnap or as he did on April 14th.
When Booth proposed to his co-conspirators in March to attempt a kidnap, was he placating them? The kidnap was to me at this point in time passe and he had made his mind up that Lincoln had to die. The "farce" that was the March kidnap attempt, suggests this i.e. Lincoln speaking at the National Hotel (Booths home in the District). was not a serious event. Herold down in the TB area a "dry run" for the escape ? The firepower that Booth assembled from his purchases in NYC was sufficient for both kidnap and murder with escape for both.
I am also informed that Mr. Fazio suggested that there was NEVER a kidnap plot. If this is so, why did Booth purchase handcuffs ( still extant in a Philadelphia museum)? Using them on Lincoln might have been more problematical.

From Booth (paraphrased) - I was close enough to have shot him (inaugural) post facto to assassination
Why don't you shoot him? - on White House Grounds

Harney sent to plant explosives (presumably he was only going to "wound" the occupants) implies an assassination event. Did Harney have section to act? If we believe Harney was sanctioned then why not JWB?

Realistically, if I were forced to set up a timeline, until December 1864, kidnap was the greater possibility. After December I would vote for assassination. What is unknown is if JWB met with the "NY crowd" during his Nov. 64 sojourn for the Julius Caesar performance. If he did, instructions from Ri****D could have have been relayed.

Unless Sarah Slater and John Surratt had similar missions, it would be unlikely they were briefed at the same time, they may have overlapped so shared common instructions would apply. A possibility is that both Sarah S and John S. were sent to communicate what to do when /if Davis and his cabinet had to flee or the Confederacy falls. "Come Retribution" could apply to Lincoln and his cabinet as a response to the "crushing" of the Confederate States. Did not Caesar die for his assumption of power? Lincoln, in Booth's mind usurped power and punished the southern States and for this had to be punished. John Surratt on April !, 1865 may have been assigned a order to implement ALL covert actions against the Federal Govt. and then "skedaddle". Sarah S. carried the escape orders and perhaps bank drafts, transfers. I would like to review all transactions at the Montreal Banks utilized by the Confederate Cabinet- not sure if anyone has ever looked at them. If anyone knows where these records are or if they are available on microfilm I would appreciate that information.

In summary:
Murder is ALWAYS a possibility to JWB
March kidnap action is not a credible attempt
Surratt and Slater probably carried instructions for escape and implementation of all covert actions against AL and Cabinet
JWB changed from kidnap to murder sometime between Nov 64 and April 65.
April 9,1865 forced JWB to act before Johnston surrendered and (to him not anyone else) all hope was lost

Need to know:
What means of communication between Richmond and Mosby existed between Jan and April 65?
Did Surratt or Slater make any stops in Virginia for meetings before reaching the District? Thinking Enoch Mason/ Mosby
Bank Transactions /accounts/ transfers for members of Confederate Cabinet in Canada
Were any of the funds for Booth in Canada left after his death and what became of the residue (if any)
What alias(s) did Booth ever use?

Thank- you for letting me ramble a bit here, I will try to become more frequent in my postings - I do enjoy the discussions
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did Surratt and Slater know about Harney's Mission? - Francis Farrell - 04-17-2016 01:29 PM