Did Surratt and Slater know about Harney's Mission?
04-14-2016, 01:56 PM
RE: Did Surratt and Slater know about Harney's Mission?
John My head is running at capacity - trying to keep up with the Lincoln Story. I don't have room to worry about the people in 1492.

Gene, The Harney mission was a well guarded secret, but Booth knew, George Atzerodt knew. Who else may have known? Atzerodt was the only one who told us. Snyder told us a bit more. The point I am working on - Did Mary Surratt know? I think, she did not. She died anyhow. She did not participate in the assassination. If I ask you to get me a Hamburg, and you shoot the clerk, am I complicit? (That' s not like I drove the get away car.)

As for the "Escape Route" through Maryland. That was an established "Travel Route" for all Rebels. Stringfellow used it,exactly,
on April 1. It was there for Booth to carry Lincoln. It was there for his escape. Surratt and Slater used it to go to Canada General Magruder's daughter was a spy and went back and forth to Canada.The spy Josephine Brown had her own route, set up by her father, that went through Leonardtown.

According to Tidwell. Mosby's men were in Southern Maryland to prevent a chase party from catching up with the Abduction Party.

Last Question: where was Mosby during this week? Upperville. VA. +/-
Mosby had people active from Southern Maryland to the Appalachian Mountains. He had to be available to ALL OF THEM, so he was in the middle. I have also read that George Baylor, the man that lead the failed raid - "went back to Mosby" at Uppervillle. The North knew where he was, at this time, because they pleaded with him to Surrender.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did Surratt and Slater know about Harney's Mission? - SSlater - 04-14-2016 01:56 PM