Will the real Thomas F. Harney, PLEASE STAND UP!
06-22-2016, 09:35 PM
RE: Will the real Thomas F. Harney, PLEASE STAND UP!
(06-22-2016 07:44 PM)L Verge Wrote:  "Next. Laurie don't be confused by what Atzerodt says. He can't even speak good English. Seriously, Atzerodt might not have known what "mine the White House " meant. (Apparently there were many people who thought as he did.) Harney was a sub-terra man. His last job before this one was to "mine " the roadway in front of Sherman's "March to the Sea". He was so successful that Sherman called for Confederate Prisoners to March in front of his men. The South quit, because they were killing more southerners than Yankees.

"As for "Northern Crowd". That's a catch-all phrase to describe some thing that you know nothing about. There were many wealthy people in New York, and elsewhere, who, who were making "Millions" (when Lincolns Secretary was making $2500 a year). There were programs, such as, "Food for Cotton", that were legal and approved for use and Lincoln shut them down - WHAM! That hurt. So, if we kill Lincoln , the war will continue and we will make more."

John - I'm going to pretend that you did not insult me with these statements. First, let's not confuse Atzerodt's problems with the English language with his intelligence. I don't believe he was quite as ignorant as some would have you believe. Years ago, we had a young historian from Delaware who would drive to Surratt House twice a month to give tours. His specialty was researching the Atzerodt family. He found that, going back to their roots in Germany, the family came from good stock, were well-liked, and of middle-class means. They maintained a similar life even after immigrating to America. George may have had a speech problem and a proclivity for the bottle, and needed to make money, but I don't believe he was as stupid as history has portrayed him.

This Delaware gentleman suffered his entire life from juvenile/Type I diabetes, and I maintained contact with him through several amputations until I received word a few years ago that he had passed on. I would love to know where his research disappeared to.

I further believe that assassination was Plan B all along and that at least suggestions of it were made at that meeting at Gautier's. That's what spooked Sam Arnold and others.

I will also change the word "sewer" pipes to "water" pipes that provided entry underground to the White House. Those are very well-documented in a number of articles online, including almost a step-by-step description of how the water (that had once been carried in buckets for five blocks from Franklin Square) was upgraded to transportation through wooden pipes constructed from huge tree trunks. I am also very aware of the existence of Tiber Creek during the Civil War - and have actually seen what's left of the old creek by viewing it from the basement of the Dept. of Commerce (I think that department) about 10-15 years ago.

And I'm really leaving in a huff now that you have told me that I don't know anything about the "Northern crowd." I have spent forty years of my life wishing that I could place blame for Lincoln's assassination on at least one of them! My money was on Fernando Wood or Belmont for a long time. After January 1, 1863, and especially after Gettysburg that same year, I think there were lots of people in the South, North, Midwest, and Canada, who would have been happy to rid the world of Abraham Lincoln. And before I get slammed by others for that last sentence, I am not disparaging Mr. Lincoln. I am just saying that he had many enemies. Not unlike our political situations today.

You ask us to consider every angle and then shoot from the hip when we suggest something. Several years ago, there was a long debate on where Booth obtained the slouch hat that he had on at the Navy Yard bridge. I made a passing comment that, for all we know, he grabbed Peanuts's hat as he pushed the boy away. For the next week, I received rather nasty emails from a person berating me for making such a stupid suggestion. I see the same thing happening here.

I am now stating flatly that I think coal bombs deposited in deliveries for the White House furnace are worth consideration at least as is the possibility of entrance through the water lines. William Seale and a variety of other historians did not get approval from the White House Historical Association to research the history without some good credentials.

Mr. Hall used to tell me to consider every possibility and then search to prove or disprove each one. That's what I hope to continue to do.
Laurie. I apologize, if I have offended you with my weak attempt to make you laugh. If you don't remember Atzerodt's confession, in detail, take another look - he did not express himself clearly - at all. Whenever I write some views, they are not intended to be critical of others, they are intended to be "as I see it". How can we do what Mr. Hall recommended, if we don't express a personal slant on a happening?
When I'm used the words "New York Crowd", I was referring to the words themselves. I tried to say that they were not an organized group. I now admit - poorly done (It was after 1 AM).
Long ago, my Mama trained me "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all." Amen!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Will the real Thomas F. Harney, PLEASE STAND UP! - SSlater - 06-22-2016 09:35 PM