Will the real Thomas F. Harney, PLEASE STAND UP!
06-21-2016, 05:25 PM
RE: Will the real Thomas F. Harney, PLEASE STAND UP!
(06-21-2016 10:20 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(04-14-2016 01:56 PM)SSlater Wrote:  Who else may have known? Atzerodt was the only one who told us. Snyder told us a bit more.

John, Bill, anyone....is it possible to post Snyder's statement regarding the Harney mission? Many thanks if possible.
Here we go, Roger, you pushed my "start" button. I love it.
Snyder's statement, April 4, 1865 is given in C.R. pg. 420.
" he knew that a party had just been dispatched from Rains Torpedo Bureau on a secret mission, which he vaguely understood was aimed at the head of the Yankee government, and he wishes to put Mr. Lincoln on his guard and have impressed on him that just at this moment he believed him to be in great danger of violence and he should take greater care of himself. He could give no names or facts as the work of his department was secret, and no man knew what his comrade was sent to do, that the President of the United States was in grate danger."
I am particularly pleased to provide this info, since, I was the one who gave the story to Jim Hall - way back when.
I am currently working on tis story - in detail. I have always found supporting evidence of the truth, in totally separate sources.
If anyone has a specific question of doubt - please state it here in this forum, and we can work it out together. I have never found anything that could not be proven.
HOWEVER, I do not believe that their intent was to "blow up the White House". I would accept "That they were going to (LAND) mine the lawn." (Why would they send a Land-mine expert to plant "floating mines"? Some of the info we are working with came from George Atzerodt, he may not have known "mine the White House " meant other than "Blow up the White House".
(PS If I have to make a guess. about something, I will state it that way, just as I did with "Land Mines".
It appears that this Mission was a "Secret Secret Mission that was Totally supported by the participants, and they kept their Mouths Shut , so that they all lived. Not one single man broke and talked. (Other than Snyder!) If Ripley hadn't "Sold the Story" 40 years after the fact, we would never have known about it. (Even Jim Hall didn't know about it.) and big Mouth me!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Will the real Thomas F. Harney, PLEASE STAND UP! - SSlater - 06-21-2016 05:25 PM