Will the real Thomas F. Harney, PLEASE STAND UP!
06-21-2016, 12:51 AM
RE: Will the real Thomas F. Harney, PLEASE STAND UP!
Here is an interesting story, that was prepared by Virgil Carrington Jones for his book "Ranger Mosby" but it didn't make it to the book. I happened to run across it - The Arundel Family home is the same "Arundel Tavern" where Harney parted with Mosby's Co. H and headed for Washington on April 10, 1865 and was captured.

"But tragedy would strike the Arundel Family when John Arundel and Frank Stringfellow, the Scout, were sent out to set up a spy network. On their way to Alexandria, they stopped at Arundel's Tavern to visit John's family. While en route they captured two Yankee "would be engineers". Stringfellow would leave John to guard the prisoners in a makeshift fort that was located in the woods behind Arundel's Tavern. While Stringfellow was in Alexandria, the prisoners overpowered John and struck him in the head with an ax killing him instantly. John Arundel would be killed in the woods directly behind his own home and would be buried very close to where he fell.

This happened on Feb. 7, 1864. This shows me that the "Arundel Tavern" was a "Safe House" for Rebs. It also gives us some clues to the activities that Stringfellow got mixed up in. Stringfellow was in Washington when Harney was headed there, but left before Harney got there. I'm guessing that Harney was to meet Stringfellow, if he hadn't been caught.
I have more of this type information, that I plan to share.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Will the real Thomas F. Harney, PLEASE STAND UP! - SSlater - 06-21-2016 12:51 AM