Will the real Thomas F. Harney, PLEASE STAND UP!
05-12-2016, 12:07 AM
RE: Will the real Thomas F. Harney, PLEASE STAND UP!
Roger, Thanx for the print out in Jane's book. You are more convincing when you show the source.
I have contacted Jane but she is real busy getting ready to give a talk, so she could not give me much time. I understand that. Also I have contacted the Librarian at the Surratt Museum - she is sending some stuff.
I read your print-out more carefully and see that the story is not all based on hard facts. Parts are "the best info available." which leaves some room to ask questions..
Since Summers does not show up after their arrival in Upperville, I think he was only to guide Harney TO Mosby. After that this guy Hefflebower takes over. If we look at the events of that night - Co. H starts to move and the Union attacks. Harney and his Guide escape, and are captured later - but its Harney and Hefflebower that are arrested. I need to resolve this. Incidentally, I was searching the Union Prisoner Records again and another guy by the name of Samuel E. Rogers , was arrested that same night at Fairfax Station and ended up in Elmira with Harney and Hefflebower. This Rogers guy shows up as a member of Co A of the Rangers.
I'm not "pushing" this info, you can accept it or not - all I ask is tell me where I am wrong. Join me if you can add something we are missing.
Laurie.For now I want to concentrate on Harney,, but I will research the Summers/Gwynn family tree - later.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Will the real Thomas F. Harney, PLEASE STAND UP! - SSlater - 05-12-2016 12:07 AM