Will the real Thomas F. Harney, PLEASE STAND UP!
05-11-2016, 12:11 PM
RE: Will the real Thomas F. Harney, PLEASE STAND UP!
(05-10-2016 08:41 PM)SSlater Wrote:  Question -- Where did we learn that Thomas F. Summers was to be Harney's guide? I have been searching this, and I now Question that thought. We were also told that Summers was captured when Harney was captured at Fairfax Station.
I have found that is not so.
I did find that a guy named Edward L Hefflebower was arrested with Harney and they went to Old Capitol and on to Elmira -together. I have "Official Records" , that support that information.
I have 27 pages of Mosby's Roster of men, Including his Artillery Unit, and anyone who rode with him for a short time, including Stringfellow, - ( and one named "Peachy").but there is NO SUMMERS.

PS A small story for your entertainment. My stepson is Thomas Benton Gayle V. Mosby shows a Thomas Benton Gayle 1. in his Co. H. I married Betty Jo Gayle and she had tons of Mosby stuff including two pistols handed to TBG 1. by Mosby. I didn't know TBG 1 or TBG 2, but 3 was called Benton, 4 was called Tommy,, and 5 is called Ben. (so, if you mention TBG, I have to ask Which one?)

This whole story is messed up with incorrect spelling and untrue facts. The OR says that Harvey, was arrested. I also believe the man arrested with Harney might have been Edward Heiflebower , who was in the 12th VA Cav, but I can't prove it.

I an throwing a very wild card into the mix here. "Summers" was/is a familiar name in early Prince George's County, Maryland, history (i.e. home county of the Surratts and other "civilian" freedom fighters who served the Confederacy). They also intermarried with another strong Confederate family named the Gwynns (as in the Surratts' neighbor, Bennett Gwynn).

The chairman of the citizens group that saved and restored Surratt House in the 1960s and early-70s was Assistant Superintendent of Schools for our county -- Thomas Summers Gwynn. His son and namesake is a Life Member of Surratt Society, but not active in the group.

Could Harney's proposed guide be an ancestor of "our" Summers and Gwynn families? I'm just guessing, not doing the research...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Will the real Thomas F. Harney, PLEASE STAND UP! - L Verge - 05-11-2016 12:11 PM