Will the real Thomas F. Harney, PLEASE STAND UP!
05-09-2016, 12:03 AM
RE: Will the real Thomas F. Harney, PLEASE STAND UP!
As you all know, I am not a bit happy with only a -half of the story. I want DETAILS. ! Read this and Enjoy.

This is from "Mosby's Rangers" by James Joseph Williamson (A Record of the Operations of the Forty Third Battalion...) Read more at https://books.google.com/books?id=ZBYPAA...PA369&/pg=

Notice there are differences between this "First Hand" report and the info we have read elsewhere.

(Someone asked me where was Mosby during this raid - this gives the exact spot where he was sleeping, eating and fighting.)
Pg366 " Saturday April 8. Command met at Upperville. Companies D and H were sent off to operate in Fairfax, while Mosby, with Companies A and B marched through Ashby's Gap and crossed the Shenandoah river at Burell's Island, swimming our horses, as the river was very high."

" Companies D and H were less fortunate, leaving Upperville on the 8th, they marched to The Plains... On the morning of the 9th (Sunday)...when Capt. Baylor gave orders to march, they set out for Fairfax, intending to capture a train HAULING WOOD TO ALEXANDRIA. "....

"The Federal Commander at Fairfax Station was Colonel Albright was appraised of their presence and immediately despatched (sic) a force in pursuit. While partially dismounted at Arundel's, Companies D and H were attacked by a detachment of the 8th Illinois Cavalry... I'm going to skip along here - but there are DETAILS, PICTURES OF PEOPLE - but not Harney.

"... beside Mohler, the Federals captured Thomas F. Harney of the Torpedo Bureau on special duty with Mosby, Richard McVey, Edward Hefflebower, and Samuel Rogers. McVey was badly wounded. (Note: No mention of Thomas Summers.)

The Official Records of the War of the Rebellion (The OR) misspelled Harney as Harvey.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Will the real Thomas F. Harney, PLEASE STAND UP! - SSlater - 05-09-2016 12:03 AM