Will the real Thomas F. Harney, PLEASE STAND UP!
05-06-2016, 04:41 PM
RE: Will the real Thomas F. Harney, PLEASE STAND UP!
I have to submit this information to correct my Post #40 5/1/1026.I implied that Harney may have participated in the Sultana disaster. I am not so sure anymore.
The "Coal Torpedo" was invented by Thomas Courtenay, in St. Louis, long before the war. Here's his story;
When the war started, Courtenay moved his family to Baltimore. Before long he returned to St. Louie, alone, to face a court case he was involved in. When done he met with Confed. Gen. Sterling Price and showed him the "Coal Torpedo". Price liked it., and commissioned Courtenay a Captain. He was to be paid 50% of the value of the ships he sank. His pay was in Confederate war bonds, collectable "after the war". YUCK!
Price sent Courtenay to Richmond. He met with Seddon - who liked it, and had one Coal Torpedo cast by an Army group and took it to Davis. (This must be the one that was found in Davis' office) Davis authorized Courtenay to establish a "Secret Service Group", to be not more than 25 men. I haven't researched this gang yet, - did they become the "Confederate Engineering Bureau'? or what? From all this I get the idea that Rains was eventually put in charge and brought Harney in to work with them.
PS. When Admiral Farragut steamed into Mobile Bay yelling "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead"., he was no hero, the Torpedoes were water logged and weren't exploding. (How's that for a pin in his balloon?)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Will the real Thomas F. Harney, PLEASE STAND UP! - SSlater - 05-06-2016 04:41 PM