Will the real Thomas F. Harney, PLEASE STAND UP!
04-21-2016, 05:54 AM (This post was last modified: 04-21-2016 06:25 AM by BettyO.)
RE: Will the real Thomas F. Harney, PLEASE STAND UP!
Quote:Betty O. I remember - see page 28 of CR. "Introduction"

Thanks, I'll check that out when I get home -

Powell, as far as we know, was in the Valley/Northern VA region with Mosby and his men from Fall of 1863 to January 1, 1865. He was not in New York (that can be documented; or known of) - he was never in St Louis, MO as far as we definitely know..... it was stated in later years by Powell's superior officers in Mosby's command; Captain Robert Walker and Lt. W. Ben Palmer, (Company B) that Powell was with the command up until January 1865. These recollections were further collerborated by General Bradley T. Johnson and General William H. Payne, CSA, who verified that Powell was at this time with Mosby - and apparently nowhere else. Both Walker and Palmer knew that Powell had been "dispatched" in January of 1865 to work with a "Maryland expedition" - which may have been part of the unit based in the Northern Neck of Virginia. Mosby had to know something. He could/would not have been completely "in the dark" regarding Powell's comings and goings. If Powell's direct superior officers knew; Mosby would certainly have had to have known as well what was going on within his command.

Quote:"Lewis Powell had previously scouted the White House..."

Again, this is from Bates' Lincoln in the Telegraph Office - Could be true. Powell supposedly told Eckert that he did so; however, this was sometime in February 1865 as far as is known....

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Will the real Thomas F. Harney, PLEASE STAND UP! - BettyO - 04-21-2016 05:54 AM