Will the real Thomas F. Harney, PLEASE STAND UP!
04-20-2016, 05:20 AM
RE: Will the real Thomas F. Harney, PLEASE STAND UP!
(04-19-2016 04:56 PM)SSlater Wrote:  The means of entry into the white House, for the bombing, was said to be from the "War Dept. end." Where was Lincoln's Office? On the 2nd floor, at the far end of the building.
If Harney was to bring the explosives in at the west end, he had to carry them the full length of the building.- I assume they meant to do that in the basement. (The more "I" plan to "Blow up the White House" the more illogical it becomes.)

John, several years ago I saw a program on TV that covered the Harney mission. It may have been on the Military Channel, but my memory is vague. I sure wish I had recorded it. The goal of the Harney mission was to enter the lower level of the White House with a black powder bomb. Thus, the bomb would be detonated below a main room. Apparently Harney felt the Cabinet would be meeting in one of these rooms, and by detonating the bomb below that room, Lincoln and his Cabinet would be killed. The floor of the room where Lincoln and others were meeting would collapse and all would be killed. As I recall the show had various diagrams of the rooms - it showed how the force of the blast would be directed upward and destroy the floor directly above the explosion. I searched YouTube for a video of this show and drew a blank. Like I said I wish I had recorded it as the description above comes from a very vague and aging memory.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Will the real Thomas F. Harney, PLEASE STAND UP! - RJNorton - 04-20-2016 05:20 AM