Will the real Thomas F. Harney, PLEASE STAND UP!
03-11-2016, 07:27 PM
RE: Will the real Thomas F. Harney, PLEASE STAND UP!
I was very excited about a Thomas Harney I found in Saint Louis, at the same time, I believe, "Our" Tommy was there in 1862. He is shown in the City Directory as an Attorney. This might be a relative - might be his father. I was particularly excited when he was accused of "disloyal activities" by the Provost Marshal. He argued with the Provost Marshal, etc. Then he disappeared completely. I wondered if he was ensconced at Elmira, N.Y.
No Luck. This Harney was a native of Camden , N. C. Graduated from Columbia College, now known as George Washington Univ. in Washington, D.C. He practiced in Miss. then moved to St. Louis in the Mid '40's . He participated in anti-Lincoln politics and wrote articles supportive of the South. He finally moved to Litchfield , CT. He died sometime after 1870. He earned his own squabble with the P.M. I lost another "gain" with this continued research - Harney's home was not in Carondelet, MO. (That hurts!)
Even a failure can be a gain - I don't have to look at this Thomas Harney anymore.
I'm working on a new lead. I found a Thomas Harney, as a student in Saint Louis Univ. in 1850 at 25. (The students range from 11 and up.) I'll keep you posted.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Will the real Thomas F. Harney, PLEASE STAND UP! - SSlater - 03-11-2016 07:27 PM