Will the real Thomas F. Harney, PLEASE STAND UP!
03-10-2016, 06:18 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2016 06:30 PM by SSlater.)
RE: Will the real Thomas F. Harney, PLEASE STAND UP!
Some Harney news right from the Horses mouth. That means this is from the Official reports, and not scrambled by some looney's opinion.
reported BY Charles Albright, Col. 202nd Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers. Command of post. "... list of prisoners and property captured (Skirmish April 10, 1865 at Fairfax Station, Va) Edward Hefflebower, Tomas F. Harney, Engineering Bureau, Lt. Co. F. 6th MO. Brought ordnance to Col. Mosby and joined his command. First Sgt. David G. Moher, Co. H Samuel Rogers. 6 Horses captured, 6 or 8 killed. 7 complete sets of horse equipment....

Notice that Harney's guide (Summers) got away (or got shot.) Notice that Harney upped his grade - for better treatment in the Guard House. His official rank was SGT.

Remember that Mosby had sent this new Company on a "Training Mission " and they captured a bunch of Loudon Rangers. I saw this
" On the sixth, forty Federal Prisoners passed trough Upperville, having been taken by Mosby's men. These prisoners were reported to belong to the Loudon Rangers"

(03-09-2016 06:14 PM)SSlater Wrote:  
(03-09-2016 12:17 PM)L Verge Wrote:  John - Be careful with your statement that Missouri left the Union... It remained a border state, so would that affect your research there at all?

Laurie. Thanks for the comment. I will keep that in mind. On that day - back then - The 6th Mo. Inf. aligned themselves with the Union, and Harney couldn't buy it, so someone in authority created the "Rebel"6th MO. Inf. This was obviously a bigger problem to them, than it is to us. But, it resulted in Harney "Deserting". To those
men, they were not sitting on the fence - they went South.

Laurie. I'm not a "History Major" so I don't know Missouri's exactmove - but when they did it- the Army went NORTH" and Harney went SOUTH and deserted. (I don't believe they knew either.)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Will the real Thomas F. Harney, PLEASE STAND UP! - SSlater - 03-10-2016 06:18 PM