What Will You Do For Lincoln's Day ?
02-15-2016, 10:11 AM (This post was last modified: 02-15-2016 10:14 AM by Angela.)
RE: What Will You Do For Lincoln's Day ?
(02-14-2016 06:10 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Wow, Angela, all of this sounds wonderful. I had no idea Michael Burlingame spoke German! How exciting to converse with him in German. I sure agree with you and Eva on Lincoln's Springfield Neighborhood by Bonnie Paull and Richard Hart (did you notice 11.4% of Springfield's 1860 population was born in Germany?). I must credit Joe Di Cola who first told me about that book. I noticed Bryon C. Andreasen was also there; I have his book titled Lincoln's Springfield. Thanks for posting about your trip to Springfield, Angela!

Roger, I DID notice that and the large number of Germans was topic of several lectures which I enjoyed a lot.
Also, I had a chance to speak to Richard Hart about the book you mentioned and that certainly was interesting.
@Eva: you have eagle eyes, and yes it was large enough to fit a little something for you ;-)
@Thomas: When are you moving to Springfield?

(02-14-2016 10:50 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  I, too, am always more than impressed when a non-native without need speaks German - despite the skills, the choice alone impresses me (I think I would have preferred several other languages first...)

As Prof. Burlingame told me, he went to school for a while in Germany, though it was many years ago.

In case of emergency, Lincoln and children first.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Will You Do For Lincoln's Day ? - Angela - 02-15-2016 10:11 AM