What Will You Do For Lincoln's Day ?
02-13-2016, 09:04 AM (This post was last modified: 02-13-2016 06:48 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: What Will You Do For Lincoln's Day ?
(02-12-2016 10:12 PM)maharba Wrote:  Ike was still a strong president and Kennedy would falter into office nearly losing everything including a free West Berlin. So in light of 'a house divided', Brandt's speech is related to the split East and West Germanies. It may be (incorrectly?) brought forward as relating now to a United Europe but which appears to be splintering.
I agree on Eisenhower and Kennedy. From my humble knowledge and understanding of politics (please educate me if wrong) I would place Eisenhower as a president way above Kennedy. To my understanding the latter's main political accomplishment was the conduct of the Cuban crisis. I wonder what difference his assassination made to his status/ranking in the people's minds.

As for the EU seeming to be splintering - I would like to learn Kees' and Angela's opinions, but mine is that it's v.v. Several challenges (Spain's, Italy's and Greece's financial issues, the refugee crisis now, as well as further minor issues) have proven this so far. When the debates about Greece (which I felt reminded of when the topic "does a state have the right to secede" was discussed on the forum) peaked, it became clear how difficult it would be and which disadvantages it would probably bring to dissolve the Union, or even drop a member.

I feel probably more European than German, and as close to the fellow Europeans as to the fellow Germans. I have always lived at the border, to the Netherlands and Belgium, and to Denmark now, cannot imagine borders to be put up again. I appreciate the common currency (not all share though), and that I can work and live wherever I like (wish it was likewise easy in the US). And the peace - Europe has seen more than enough wars and bloodshed.

We have a motto btw - "united in diversity", a flag and an anthem, Beethoven's "Ode to Joy".

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What Will You Do For Lincoln's Day ? - Eva Elisabeth - 02-13-2016 09:04 AM