Was there an abortive attempt made by Booth to kidnap Lincoln in Jan. 1865?
02-02-2016, 03:39 PM
RE: Was there an abortive attempt made by Booth to kidnap Lincoln in Jan. 1865?
Kees, I don't think he is referring to March 17th in that section I posted. He is dealing with the earlier time frame in 1865. He deals with March 17th in another section of the memoirs. Here's what he said:

"On March 17, 1865, about 2 o'clock, Booth and Herold met O'Laughlin and myself. Booth stated that he was told that the President was going to attend a theatrical performance out on Seventh street, at a soldiers' encampment or hospital at the outer edge of the city. Booth had previously sent a small, black box, containing two carbines, a monkey wrench, ammunition and four pieces of rope, by the porter of the National Hotel to our room at Mrs. Van Tynes. Not wishing it to remain in our room, O'Laughlin sent the box to an acquaintance of his in Washington. This box was sent to our room in the early part of March, 1865, I think, and was removed In about a week or 10 days.

After Booth and Herold met O'Laughlin and myself and made arrangements to go out to the performance on Seventh street, Booth, Herold and O'Laughlin went for the box containing the two carbines, etc. The understanding was that Herold was to take the box with Booth's horse and buggy to either Surrattsvllle or T. B., and there meet us, in case- the abduction was successful. This was the last time I saw Herold until our trial.

O'Laughlin returned and we took our dinner at the Franklin Hotel, as usual. After dinner we met Booth and accompanied him to the livery stable near the Patent Office, at which place Booth obtained horses for us. O'Laughlin and I then rode to our room on D street and made all our necessary arrangements, each arming himself. O'Laughlin and I then rode out to where the performance was to take place. We stopped at a restaurant at the foot of the hill to await the arrival of the other parties. They not arriving as soon as we expected, we remounted our horses and rode out the road about a mile. We then returned and stopped at the same restaurant. While in there Atzerodt came in, having just arrived with Payne. A short time after Booth and Surratt came in and we drank together. Booth had made inquiries at the encampment where the performance was to be held, and learned that the President was not there. After telling us this we separated, O'Laughlin and myself riding back to the city together. Surratt and Booth rode out the road towards the country. O'Laughlin and I left our horses back of the National Hotel, at a livery stable.

Conspiracy Abandoned.

About 8 o'clock I met Booth and Surratt near the stable. This was the last time I ever saw Surratt, and I never saw Payne after we parted in our ride into the city until the day of our trial. O'Laughlin and I left Washington on March 20 and went to Baltimore. Booth went to New York, and thus I thought the whole affair abandoned. I then told my family I had ceased business in Washington, and had severed my connection with Booth."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Was there an abortive attempt made by Booth to kidnap Lincoln in Jan. 1865? - RJNorton - 02-02-2016 03:39 PM