Was there an abortive attempt made by Booth to kidnap Lincoln in Jan. 1865?
01-31-2016, 10:36 PM
RE: Was there an abortive attempt made by Booth to kidnap Lincoln in Jan. 1865?
I like all that you say - all good solid logic - all good solid facts, but you omit some consideration of the influence from the "New York Crowd". Do we agree that the "New York Crowd" was the Impetus behind the abduction plans? So, I am not suggesting any changes , only more ideas.

My approach leans heavily toward the idea that there never was an intent to kill Lincoln. However, any plan conceived, had to assure Lincoln's absolute safety. Secondly, the abduction party, had to be assured complete safety. In January, Davis was opposed to any plan that would threaten Lincoln's life. It was not until late February, after the two Union Cavalry raids on Richmond, changed his thinking on Safety.

I believe that the basic reason for the abduction attempts, was to extend the war. Even the proposed Ransom was intended to extend the war. The "New York Crowd" was safe and sassy, away from the killing and destruction and making more money than any one of us could imagine. Everyone was trading cotton - all with Lincoln's knowledge. There were people in the White House - trading cotton.

Booth had been hired by the New York Crowd, to get the job done, but everything he proposed had to be approved by them. I imagine there were many plans suggested, but either failed or were withdrawn for lack of approval. Trying to abduct a President, and run him south without rumpling his shirt collar (an exaggeration) needs some special considerations.

I think the plan to blow up the White House came from an entirely different source, in the South. Booth dutifully reported the plan to the New York Crowd. I can't guess at their "Take". Maybe they said OK, but that plan failed when Harney was captured.

Now, Booth took full charge of his crew and his own plan. He had his own planning, his own disregard of "Safety", of the Ransom and all else. He would kill Lincoln according to his own satisfaction.

In my opinion, the killing came as a complete surprise to EVERYONE
to the "Conspirators" , to the escape route personnel, to the Southern Government, and many more, like Mosby, the Army, Conrad et, al.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Was there an abortive attempt made by Booth to kidnap Lincoln in Jan. 1865? - SSlater - 01-31-2016 10:36 PM