Was there an abortive attempt made by Booth to kidnap Lincoln in Jan. 1865?
01-31-2016, 06:16 PM
RE: Was there an abortive attempt made by Booth to kidnap Lincoln in Jan. 1865?
I checked Samuel Arnold's memoirs (Mike Kauffman's book) regarding this general time period, and he writes:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"On two occasions most favorable opportunities presented themselves, which if Booth had energetically moved in the premises or had any desire other than attempting it at the Theatre, I am perfectly confident, it would have proved successful beyond a doubt. These were occasions before I had become acquainted with the fact, that others than Surratt and ourselves already spoken of, were connected in the Enterprise. The President passed over the Eastern Branch Bridge, accompanied only by his coachman and a single guest within the carriage. To what point he went beyond is not known, his movements having been overlooked, only so far as to ascertain the fact, that he had passed over the river.

Information was immediately conveyed to Booth of this occurrence; he paid but slight attention to it, on account, as he said, of the pressure of business at the time and thus the only and the most favorable opportunity was permitted to pass by, without, it may be truthfully spoken, the slightest notice being taken thereof by him. It became morally impossible under these circumstances to feel like continuing in the affair when inaction and inattention were becoming the ruling elements, delay, tending to cause our positions daily to become more insecure.

The month of January had passed, and as yet nothing had been accomplished. February ushered itself in only to be a repetition of former month, as Booth through riotous living and dissipation was compelled to visit the City of New York for the purpose of replenishing his squandered means. His absence continued nearly the entire month, caused from the great difficulty experienced in borrowing money."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Was there an abortive attempt made by Booth to kidnap Lincoln in Jan. 1865? - RJNorton - 01-31-2016 06:16 PM