Who wrote the lines of poetry "quoted" by Lincoln at the Soldiers' Home?
07-08-2021, 05:00 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2021 05:06 PM by Steve Whitlock.)
RE: Who wrote the lines of poetry "quoted" by Lincoln at the Soldiers' Home?
(07-08-2021 04:38 PM)David Lockmiller Wrote:  
(07-08-2021 02:59 PM)Steve Whitlock Wrote:  
(01-21-2016 05:39 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(01-21-2016 12:56 PM)David Lockmiller Wrote:  Is it possible that Lincoln himself became the anonymous poet in that moment, in that place, in the fall of 1864?

David, what you propose as a possibility will be my guess as to the answer to your trivia question. I will guess Lincoln himself.
It is possible that Mr. Lincoln wrote the lines in question; however, not all books have been digitized, so there may be a lesser known author who wrote the lines that inspired Mr.Lincoln. I tried finding a poem that I know was in a book, and nothing comes up, so it remains uncertain, but possible, that Abraham wrote the lines.

It would be valuable to learn that Lincoln himself is the poet in the fullest sense of the word. I believe it to be true.

Roger,

Are the lines in that book you have with the ratings for whether Lincoln said something? I'm referring to the Fehrenbachers.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Who wrote the lines of poetry "quoted" by Lincoln at the Soldiers' Home? - Steve Whitlock - 07-08-2021 05:00 PM