Who wrote the lines of poetry "quoted" by Lincoln at the Soldiers' Home?
06-08-2018, 10:43 AM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2018 10:55 AM by David Lockmiller.)
RE: Who wrote the lines of poetry "quoted" by Lincoln at the Soldiers' Home?
Google Promises Its A.I. Will Not Be Used for Weapons New York Times June 8, 2018

Google detailed applications of the technology that the company will not pursue, including A.I. for “weapons or other technologies whose principal purpose or implementation is to cause or directly facilitate injury to people” and “technologies that gather or use information for surveillance violating internationally accepted norms of human rights.”

No doubt, it will be "full steam ahead" for the Chinese and the Russians in these areas of AI research.

"Recollections of President Lincoln and His Administration" by L. E. Chittenden (Lincoln's Register of the Treasury) Chap. XXVI, PRESIDENT LINCOLN'S CONNECTION WITH THE ORIGIN OF ARMORED VESSELS -- NAVY ASSISTANT-SECRETARY INTERVIEW WITH THE PRESIDENT, pages 212-214.

Suggestions of the necessity of armored vessels for harbor defense were strongly pressed by Major Robert Anderson, very soon after he arrived in Washington from Fort Sumter. He reported that one of the Confederate batteries in Charleston harbor was covered with bars of railroad iron, in such a way that the guns of the fort made no impression upon it. Having learned from experience that a battery so protected was impregnable, and there being no reason why like armor could not be applied to a floating as well as a land battery, Major Anderson argued that the Confederates would almost certainly undertake the construction of iron-clad vessels, and if we were not provided with similar vessels to resist them, they would take and hold possession of our navigable rivers and harbors, and so inflict an irremediable injury on our seaport cities and their commerce.

I (L. E. Chittenden) was so fortunate as to have secured the friendship of Assistant Secretary of the Navy Gustavus V. Fox, and I have made several visits to the President in his company. On one of these visits, I heard the President ask Mr. Fox his opinion of armored vessels, and of Major Anderson's suggestion. Mr. Fox replied, in substance, that the subject was under active consideration in the Navy Department, but it was novel; it was very important, and though generally impressed with the practicability of such vessels, he was not yet prepared to commit himself to any fixed opinion. The President, somewhat earnestly, observed that "we must not let the rebels get ahead of us in such an important matter," and asked what Mr. Fox regarded as the principal difficulty in the way of their use.

When we left the White House, Mr. Fox observed that the President appeared to be deeply interested in the subject of iron-clads; that it was most important, but it was new, and would encounter all the prejudices of the naval service. But its importance was such that its investigation would be pressed as fast as possible, with a view of at least trying the experiment.

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Who wrote the lines of poetry "quoted" by Lincoln at the Soldiers' Home? - David Lockmiller - 06-08-2018 10:43 AM