He Served in Place of Abraham Lincoln
01-25-2016, 05:07 PM (This post was last modified: 01-25-2016 05:15 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: He Served in Place of Abraham Lincoln
Re.:"Really. And this was easily done by students, before the net? Before I made my initial post on Summerfield, I 'searched' this forum for any prior mention of him. In the many thousands of postings, not one mention found for Summerfield that I could find at all."

Maharba, since it is you who wants this to be discussed and wants this to be a quality educational forum (which includes appropriate reliable wording and information) please DO discuss with us, i.e. kindly reply and help to keep this a place where students can learn (also social and communicative skills, not libel and slander) and rely on.

I repeat my questions form my post #59 (and some other members had posted similar to no avail) in hope to receive an answer from you this time. Thanks.

1. Re: "Poor Summerfield and family got to hear of the sneering comments directed against him by Lincoln's crony, and that "he was a ne'er' do well who probably died in the Wilderness'."

What were supposed to be the sneering comments? Or "scorning comments", as you said now? From the newspaper article I cannot see he knew about the pension request/issue nor that he was still alive at all. From where do you evidently know he knew? It seems to me, Larner just reported what he knew at the time the interview was held. So, what sneering/scoring comments do you refer to?

2. Who is the other of the both supposed to be in "Do you not see the irony in both their treatment of Summerfield and that they refused him even a small pittance of a pension?" (Lincoln was long dead.)

3. What influence could Larner have had at all on a pension had Larner known of the issue?

Re.: "Could this whole disgraceful episode have been so embarrassing, that is a principal reason it is never included in histories?"

My thinking: The war was "long" ago and emotions/interest in it had faded as it had already been the case at Surratt's trial. I think someone just made a legal, emotionally neutral decision.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: He Served in Place of Abraham Lincoln - Eva Elisabeth - 01-25-2016 05:07 PM