Life, Crime and Capture of John Wilkes Booth
01-09-2016, 08:05 AM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2016 08:31 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Life, Crime and Capture of John Wilkes Booth
Having finally received my paperback yesterday and being able to read properly and highlight and make notes in the text, here come my points on the next chapter:

1. I wasn't aware Lincoln had a picture of John Bright on the mantle in his office.

2. GATH writes: "Book cases sprinkled with the sparse library of a country lawyer" - AFAIK, Mary largely extended the White House/family library, but that obviously didn't match the Lincoln image GATH wanted to forward.

3. Re.: "Tad will live to be a man pointed out everywhere, for his father's sake" - did that come true?

4. A quote for maharba: "They [Nicolay and Hay] are the only men who know his life well enough to exhaust it, aving followed his official tasks as closely as they shared his social hours." (Herndon btw had never been invited privately by the Lincoln's.)

5. "The groundless pretext, upon which he suffered the reputation of treason, issued from the Department of War - not from his office" - interesting GATH points that out.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Life, Crime and Capture of John Wilkes Booth - Eva Elisabeth - 01-09-2016 08:05 AM